It is becoming evident to us that in the very near future many of the residents at My Brother’s and Sister’s Houses will be needing to find new jobs or meaningful daytime activities. Additionally, many will likely also need transportation to and from these new sites–especially sites not on a MAX bus route. The primary reason for this likelihood is due primarily as the result of significant budget cuts to programs and services in which a large number of our residents participate and on which they depend.
Not having daytime work or activities presents a special challenge to My Brother’s and Sister’s Houses. Unlike many Adult Foster Care (AFC) homes, we do not provide 24/7 on-site staffing. It has been our practice and commitment to see that the residents in our homes either have a job or are engaged in some type of educational or life enhancing activity during the day. Consequently, if a five day program is reduced to three days–which is not an unlikely scenario–we need to either find alternative supervised activities outside of the home or hire additional staff to remain at our homes. Either way, it will likely mean additional expenses for the Holland Deacons’ Conference.
Please prayerfully consider whether you or your church might be able to help us meet these challenges by becoming involved in one or more of the following ways:
- Providing transportation to and from
- a job site or program one or more days per week
- occasional doctor/dentist appointments
- Daytime employment – If you are a business owner or employer, please consider whether and what you might be able to provide.
- Volunteer opportunities in your church, school, with a charitable organization, service club, etc.
- Increased financial support for the Holland Deacons’ Conference
These are just some ideas and suggestions. If you or your church are interested in possibly doing or providing something else, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Finally, and most importantly, please remember the men, women and staff of My Brother’s and Sister’s Houses in your prayers!
Grace and Peace,